We believe that sound long-term preparation enables students to develop the tools necessary for success. Whether mastering academic course materials or studying for standardized tests, our students develop the skills and motivation to maintain a rigorous, individually tailored approach to learning that ultimately instills education’s most enduring rewards:
- academic growth
- joy in learning
- intellectual curiosity
We adapt traditional methods of study and practice for the individual student. Our tutors teach students to study not just intensively, but effectively. We do not believe in “tricks” and we recognize that there are no short cuts. Instead, we teach the core content and strategies relevant to every subject, test, or assignment, an approach that is consistently educational.
Our Approach to Learning
- Rigorous: Advantage Testing students work hard. They learn to apply the efficiencies of authentic skill, knowledge, and sound reasoning rather than shortcuts or tricks. Memorization, application, drills, and routine practice are critical components of our programs.
- Comprehensive: For more than thirty years, we have continually refined and expanded our teaching materials and approaches. Our experience enables us to help students prepare for every academic challenge.
- Practical: We design and implement concrete strategies and outline specific steps toward attainable goals. Applied practice forms the backbone of our structured tutoring programs.
- Creative: Tutors adapt their distinctive styles of teaching to each individual student, while the student in turn contributes their unique perspective to the learning process.
Advantage Testing comprises a group of professional private instructors who value educational achievement and specialize in individualized learning. Our faculty consists primarily of high honors graduates of leading colleges and universities, many of whom hold graduate or professional degrees. Of the hundreds of applications we receive regularly, we select only a few dozen for interviews and ultimately hire just a few. As Crain's New York Business noted in 2003, "This year, 900 people applied for positions at tutoring firm Advantage Testing. Five were hired."
Our tutors must be:
- able to motivate students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve their best;
- experienced, dedicated teachers who receive uniformly outstanding reviews from students and parents;
- energetic and approachable mentors committed to developing productive relationships with their students;
- top performers required to score in the 99th percentile on any subject or test they teach;
- students themselves of the continuously evolving science of education.